Thursday, 26 September 2013

Robots



Robots
Robots
Accent UK

   If you read my previous review, you’ll know that I was incredibly disappointed with the previous three Accent UK compilations I picked up at MCM.  Despite really wanting to like them, I simply found that both the art and the story telling were, for the most part, rather poor is not downright awful. Robots, is a much larger volume (trade paper sized instead of single issue sized) which I picked up at the same time. After reading the previous three I was worried that I had made a mistake in picking this one up too, but thankfully, Robots is worlds away in quality.

Panel from "The cabinet of Dr Diablo" by John Reppion & Leah Moore
   The larger size of this anthology seems to work to its advantage, while there are still the odd one or two page strips, the average strip is between five to ten pages long. This gives the writers much more freedom and the opportunity to tell bigger and better stories, while the artists have a bigger canvas to show off their talents.
   Each story is centred around the theme of Robots but the variety of the strips is huge. Some are epic while others are small in scale, some are dark while others funny and some are deeply philosophical and introspective while others are plain dumb. Whatever your preference there’s something for everyone.

Panel from "What is life?" By Kieran Brown and Kevin Mullins
   The best of the bunch are, What is life? By Kieran Brown and Kevin Mullins which tells the story of a robot scientist asked to present his new invention, a human, in front of a council to decide if it’s fit to live and Divinity, Existence and Toast by Benjamin Dickson which is about a speaking toaster which begins to believe it is god. 
   These were my personal favourites and stuck out to me as the best examples of the whole  package of writing and artwork, as well as a good examply of the variety on offer within the books pages, but there are many other strips which are also brilliant in this volume.

   There was still the occasional strip I didn’t care for, though the difference here is that, while in the last three volumes I felt there were stories and art that were downright bad, the strips I didn’t like in his volume, simply weren’t my cup of tea. I may not have cared for the story or the art style but none of the stories were actually badly made.

As much as I slated the other Accent publications I picked up, I’d happily recommend you pick this one up. It’s a great showcase for up and coming comics creators and no matter your tastes, I’m confident you’ll find a mass of strips that entertain you. If you’re a supporter of indie comics or just a comic fan in general, it’s well worth a pick up.

Accent UK

No comments:

Post a Comment